Why I'm Running for School Board
“As a former public school teacher in under-resourced communities, I know a high-quality education that meets the holistic needs of children and families can transform lives and strengthen communities. Today, about half of all students in San Diego Unified are not meeting grade-level standards. As a parent, educator, and community leader, I am committed to equity in education and ensuring students in every neighborhood have access to schools that develop their full potential and prepare them for the careers of the future. Our work must begin with targeted investments in preschool and transitional kindergarten to stop opportunity and achievement gaps before they ever start. And we can’t let up!
We must remain focused on sustaining student growth TK-12 by equipping teachers, principals, and support staff with the training and resources they need to ensure every child has the skills, resources, and resilience to succeed. On the School Board, I will work in respectful partnership with parents, teachers, students, and school leaders to implement systems and provide resources for our children to thrive.
I believe that a high-quality education builds strong communities, and I would be honored to have you by my side in achieving this mission. Our children are counting on us.“
Shana's Plan for the School Board
As a parent with firsthand experience navigating school during a pandemic, Shana knows what families have been through. On the School Board, she’ll build stronger schools that ensure every San Diego student – regardless of neighborhood – has the resources, support, and opportunities they need to succeed.
As someone that has led anti-hunger initiatives and served as a senior leader at a large social service agency that provides wraparound services to address the needs of struggling families, Shana knows that a high-quality education must expand far beyond the classroom. Through strategic partnerships with community-based organizations and city and county government, she will ensure children have access to robust support services, nutrition, stable housing, and exceptional expanded learning opportunities.
And as the only school board member with children in the district’s schools, Shana will represent the district’s parents and elevate and amplify their voices on the Board.
- Make targeted investments to close the opportunity and achievement gap
- Utilize meaningful data to guide investments and evaluate impact
- Build strong school leadership by cultivating and retaining effective principals
- Invest in teachers with system-wide coaching and professional development
- Build partnerships between parents, teachers, and school leaders
- Strengthen TK-12 STEAM learning
- Support system-wide implementation of science-based reading instruction
- Develop Community Schools that provide integrated services to address the holistic needs of children and families, including access to housing, nutrition, healthcare, and legal services
Become a Supporter and Make Us Stronger
Sign up to receive updates from our campaign here.